Mather Regional Park (formerly Mather Naval Airfield) is a concrete airport taxiway with some asphalt sections. It is located East of Sacramento near Rancho Cordova.
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/5yp9C
From the Bay Area
- Take I-80 to Sacramento
- There, take US 50 towards South Lake Tahoe, avoiding downtown Sacramento
- Exit at the Sunrise Blvd exit (Rancho Cordova) This is after the Mather Exit
- Turn right (South) onto Sunrise
- In 1 or 2 miles you’ll come to Douglas Road — Right on Douglas
- You enter Mather Field here — it’s not guarded
- Douglas crosses Mather Blvd — continue across onto the autocross site
- you will see the cones and cars
Pat Kelly’s Alternate Route:
This avoids I-80 altogether, esp if you’re coming from south bay, or there-abouts.
- Go east on 580, pick up 205 to I5 to Stockton
- Exit I5 at state highway 4 (the freeway exit, just after Charter Way)
- Connect with 99 North.
- Continue on 99 past Lodi, Galt
- Just before Elk Grove, exit onto Grant Line Road
- Head east on Grant Line about 5 miles or so (it sometimes seems forever)
- Turn left onto Sunrise,
- North on Sunrise about 5 more miles,
- Left onto Douglas and
- Straight into the site; you will see the cones and cars
Advantages are no bridge tolls, and a stroll back through time along the old but quick 99, plus among the least expensive gas stations
(Chevron) at the Grantline exit, anyway, much less expensive than most stations here.
No matter which way you take, the gate is marked with pointer cones.