SFR SCCA Board of Directors Meeting Minutes April 18, 2005 San Ramon Marriott - 1:00 pm ...
SFR SCCA Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
April 18, 2005
San Ramon Marriott - 1:00 pm
¢ Call to Order -- Gordy
Attendees: Board of Directors
R J Gordy - Regional Executive
David Allen - Director
Barbara McClellan - Secretary
Bryan Nemy - Director
Peter Nosler - Director
Michael Smith - Treasurer
Blake Tatum - Director
Sherry Grantz - SFR Regional Administrator
Bruce Goronsky -- Vintage (late arrival)
David Vodden - Thunderhill CEO
¢ Visitors' Reports
¢ Vintage Update -- Goronsky
Everything is on schedule. Open/closed wheel combo is probably not an issue for the Friday test day.
¢ Solo II Update -- Nemy
Bay Area Chapter held a very successful driving school this past weekend. There were 30 students directed by 15 instructors, all past National Champions. The Tour and Pro events are coming up at Atwater. Nosler, Tabacco, and Nemy looked at the Fremont site from behind the fence. While there is still interest in purchasing or obtaining a long term lease, it is a very expensive piece of property. Nosler thinks it is time to look for another site since nothing is happening with this one. Also a business plan needs to be developed. Nothing is happening at Crow's Landing. Smith questions if there is a real champion on the site acquisition and will it be supported in the future? Thinks it is appropriate for the BoD to push for a decision, but not to the point where there isn't support. Since current needs are being met, there is no one pushing to obtain a site. Question asked if the site money could be used to build a long-term lease with a vendor? Nemy has been selected to be on the Solo II National Site Committee; will look at how other regions get sites. Memo of Understanding is to be finalized at the Solo II Steering Committee meeting tomorrow evening. Nemy plans to attend both the Sacramento and Fresno Chapter meetings prior to next month's BoD meeting. Sacramento Chapter is on schedule for the event at Mather Air Base.
¢ Rally Update -- Nemy
The April 16 event at Thunderhill was canceled due to wet lands; trying to reschedule. Altamont date not yet set.
¢ Concours Update -- Gordy
Entry form for the Palo Alto Concours, which is sponsored by the Palo Alto Lions Club, has Sanctioned by SCCA which means they use SCCA trained judges. Different philanthropic organizations are planning concours at Hillsborough, Alameda, El Dorado Hills, as well as Sacramento and Alamo.
¢ Competition Director Update -- Archer via Gordy
SM Challenge contract update: SFR will pay $25,000 to LS to run the event with ALMS. Toyo will contribute money to the purses. SM Challenge Series dates are Sept. 3-4 at Infineon, two races at LS during ALMS weekend of Oct. 13-16, and the final Oct. 21-23 at TH.
¢ National BoD Update -- Pitts via Gordy
SRF spec tire decision is still pending testing. May be stuck with Yokohama tires for this year. Smith indicates it is a heat issue and will need to watch the effect in the heat of the summer. Question posed if SFR could could identify a spec tire for Region only, but this is not easily done.
¢ Thunderhill Report -- Smith
Materials are on site for the garage, office and paddock cover. Grading and pad forms are complete for garages and asphalt has been cut for paddock cover foundation posts. New TH web site is complete and it looks great. Grantz is working on the inside layout of the office. The fence between the paddock and hot pits will be down for an indefinite period while work is ongoing on installation of new metal light poles and a new retaining wall. Pit Fire has safety concerns about this open fence area. Tatum suggests stringing up snow fencing. Action: Vodden to look follow up. Ray Mudd will be putting up special Race Officials parking signs which will leave a designated area for TH cars and trucks. Worker Camping is being extended to ensure enough space for all.
David Vodden presented a $50,000 dividend check from Properties to the San Francisco Region. The BoD thanks Properties for the dividend.
¢ Oil Recycling Champions -- Nosler
The new grant application has been submitted; don't know when we'll hear anything. Current grant ends April 30, but SFR will continue to support ORC as though there were no changes except the SUV will be returned to Nosler. The CIWMB will be auditing our grant next month.
¢ Region Administrators Report -- Grantz
Transferred $200,000 from general B of A account into a Maximizer account which is now earning interest. Will ensure general account always has sufficient balance to avoid any account fees and will use on-line transfers to put money into checking account rather than writing on general funds account. After software re-writes by Alex and assistance from Smith, the last database from National worked correctly for the first time in a year; next monthly update is due later this week. All SFR vehicle driver information has been updated with the insurance company. Working with Dan Kenber on a new brochure for volunteers. Almost out of the recruitment issue of The Wheel; want to work with Blakemore to produce a new one. Would probably print about 3000 which will cost about $2000. Motion (Allen/Nosler): Move to approve publication of a new recruitment issue of The Wheel. Passed--Unanimous.
Have determined that Acrobat pfd form cannot be filled out and saved with enter data to allow on-line entry by drivers. Currently process is on hold unless another format can be found. Race Officials vouchers for 4/29-5/1 pro event have been produced. Guest vouchers will not be used this year.
¢ Secretary's Report -- McClellan
Motion (Nosler/Smith): To approve minutes as corrected from 3/26/05 BoD Meeting. Passed--Unanimous
¢ Treasurer's Report -- Smith
Profit and Loss Statement (Year to Date) through March 31, 2005
1 Club Administration
Expenses (payroll, overhead, etc.)($45,808)($41,143)
Total Club Admin.($17,195)($10,719)
2 Road Racing Program
Event Net Income($10,986) $1,109
Income (transponders, etc.766935
Total Event Income$10,220$2,044
Road Racing Non Event Expenses($37,220)($44,259)
Road Racing Total($47,510) ($42,215)
3Other Income and Expenses
Oil Recycling Program$0$16,920
Total Other($19,767) ($12,734)
Total YTD profit through 3/31/05($84,472)($65,668)
Adjustments to actual due to timing$9,971
Adjusted income($74,501) ($65,668)
Motion (Nosler/Allen): To approve Treasurers Report as of March 31, 2005.Passed--Unanimous.
¢ Old Business
¢ LS Regional Recap -- All
Had 277 entries and was on budget. Media Center was not rented since it would have cost an additional $600. Social will continue behind the T11 area unless otherwise notified. Trophies were not available for the second races; this was a mistake by Eagle Trophies and they will have to mail them to winners. Allen is working with them about bringing trophies which were not picked up to the next two events they attend. Also need a more senior person there. Smith wants to thank Bo for providing additional paddock space. Tatum is follow up with Parks to ensure everything went OK with them.
¢ Infineon/LS Contracts -- Gordy/Nosler
LS contract has been signed. Gordy has received revised numbers from Infineon so that contract can be completed.
¢ San Jose Grand Prix -- Gordy
Schedule and camping/parking have several issues to be resolved.Gordy will be following up with the organizers. City Council just approved the new track layout last week. Gordy reported that we paid the FCC $500 to extend our radio license into the San Jose area.
¢ IRL -- Gordy
Reports they will be using brand new equipment in Race Control.Thinks they will be a good group with which to work. Schedule and number of Race Officials distributed to BoD.
¢ SMT Compliance -- All
Smith has talked with mechanics, drivers, and looked at the cheat list which has been distributed amongst drivers. Some issues are hard to catch, others are easy. Gordy has talked with National and other engine builders. Action: Gordy to forward information to Smith who thinks solutions will define themselves. To update each month.
¢ SFR Hall of Fame -- Gordy
Nothing new to report.
¢ New Business
¢ Track Drive Arounds -- Allen
Did not work at LS; new drivers too busy with morning logistics at Season Opener. Vodden said this can be done at the end of Test Day on Friday at TH.
¢ Scheduling Drivers Meetings -- Smith
Since drivers meetings have not been scheduled on events which have already received sanctioning numbers, Smith will discuss with Archer a proposed schedule. Then will notify Grantz who can include with Acceptance Letter. Chief Stewards can be notified as meetings occur.
¢ Group 7 SMT Permanent Numbers -- Smith
Numbers 1 through 99 have all been assigned. Smith will see if office software can be modified to accept 0 as the first digit. This would add 01 through 00. Smith says T&S could work with this.
¢ Requested Change in Supps -- Gordy
Executive Steward has requested that #33 in Regional Supps be changed to read as follows: Competitors must continue to meet the lowest sound limit in which they will run during the entire event at LS. This is in response to problems which Stewards had with SMs and the changing sound windows. Nosler thinks we are making rules for rules sake. McClellan notes that we don't race at LS until the last weekend in July and suggests we hold a SMT drivers meetings to give them a choice. BoD agrees and Gordy will talk with Executive Steward.
¢ Frank Eubel Salute -- Gordy
Scrutineers want to honor Frank Eubel, former Chief Scrutineer, at the TH June 11 weekend. Plan to have a Eubel Shoe Fetish Contest. Frank's wife Nancy plans to attend the event.
¢ Liaison Reports -- All
¢ The Wheel -- Nosler
A different format has been discussed with Blakemore and he is willing to make changes we want. Gordy would like to see Rally, Road Racing, Solo II, Concours articles in each issue. Results can always be found on our web site. Do we want The Wheel to be a newsletter, a magazine, what? Action: Nosler to circulate to BoD what we want/dislike via e-mail then ask Blakemore to make a proposal at next meeting.
¢ Drivers School -- Nosler
Addressing issues with Becker about the need to extend to 6 track time hours and having Ground School prior to the 3 days for 2006. Group Leaders needs to be more critical on choosing DIs; no need to take every one who volunteers. BoD thanks George Ott, RDC President, for sending out certificates giving $10 towards RDC membership for DIs.
¢ Membership -- Allen
Confirmed that tables will be available at LS for the Rolex Grand Am race. Still no chief per Nemy
¢ Grand Prix of Willows -- Allen
Working with Vodden. This will replace PCRRC and WSC. Goal is Building Bridges with the Community. Will be asking Archer to help with planning this event. TH may choose to promote it and charge admission for not SCCA spectators. Will need promotion money to advertise.
¢ Drifting -- Nemy
Nemy and Gordy have met with the No. Cal. Drifting Academy who want to partner with us; meet again April 27. However this is a for-profit organization which may be a problem for us. They promise that all would become SCCA members.
¢ Social -- McClellan
Has discussed with the Co-Chiefs the possibility of talking with Deloyce about furnishing lunches at TH. They would have to be at a price which is equal to or better than what is furnished by Sani-Food. Social is willing to discuss.
¢ Worker Awards -- McClellan
Chief has been reminded that the annual banquet will be in Nov. and awards need to be ordered earlier.
¢ Race Administration -- Gordy
Dave Harriman has agreed to be Registrar for Pro race events.
¢ Radio Tech -- Tatum
Has requested additional equipment and a bid for $4500 was distributed; these are mostly for Pro events and included 4 headsets for Pit Marshals and 6 for Emergency which will allow those on the back of the truck to talk with drivers. E crew feels it is a safety concern. Before making a decision, BoD suggests a presentation of how compelling this need is; agreed that batteries and adaptors may be necessary at this time.
¢ Grid -- Allen
Has heard they may request more room at TH. Need to make sure that both Tatum and Allen are involved in any decisions.
¢ Child Care -- Tatum
Grantz has found two caregivers for this next weekend at TH.
¢ Executive Session (provided under separate cover)
George Ott sent BoD members a letter about schedule changes for the Oct. event that will accommodate drivers in the Enduro. Office received a nice thank you card from Theresa Boden's parents, Leon and Karen, with a photo of the flowers we sent. Theresa was the National employee killed in an automobile accident last month.
¢ Remarks for the Good of the Order
Prize Possessions has offered a deal sheet of prizes available to drivers in lieu of trophies at the track. Would have flyers showing what is available. Driver would send results with order form. Other options are available. To be discussed further.
Motion (Allen): To adjourn meeting at 5:00 PM. Passed--Unanimous. Next meeting scheduled for Monday, May 23, 2005 at 1:00 PM at Mike Smith's Office, Saratoga.
Barbara McClellan, Secretary