SFR SCCA Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
January 15, 2005 San Ramon Marriott, San Ramon
¢ Call to Order - 8:04 am-- Gordy
Attendees: Board of Directors
R J Gordy - Regional Executive
David Allen - Director
Barbara McClellan - Secretary
Bryan Nemy - Director
Peter Nosler - Director
Michael Smith - Treasurer
Blake Tatum - Director
Bruce Goronsky -- Vintage Chief
Sherry Grantz - SFR Manager
Gary Pitts -- Chairman, National BoD
Lou Santomieri -- Flagger, Guest
David Vodden -- Thunderhill; Consultant
¢ Visitors' Reports
¢ Vintage Update -- Goronsky
Handout was distributed, outlining the changes planned for 2005. These include run groups being changed to fit the sound windows better. BMW group will race with us this year and Formula Fords will be the featured group with a salute to Bob Winkelmann. Seattle will not have a Vintage Grid at SIR in May. Portland will have two races and our race at LS will count as two. Think we have resolved the license issue with SCCA National. Will be looking closer at vintage compliance and making a recommendation later in the year. This will be Goronsky's sixth year as Vintage Chief and wishes to have a replacement identified for next year. Also wants to go on record that Vintage would like a Spring date at TH in 2006.
¢ Solo II Update -- Nemy
Bay Area Chapter season starts next Sunday at the Oakland Coliseum; will be a practice event. Schedule still not finalized. Dates are firm for Golden Gate Fields, Coliseum, and the Marina. Candlestick is a maybe. Castle Airfield Park will be used for the pro events. Insurance fees are increasing. Sacramento Chapter is planning a drifting school in March. Financials indicate they had a $9000 loss. Action: Nemy to follow up for explanation and identification of their leadership. Fresno does not have a schedule yet. Pitts stated that the Reno Region has asked about Katie Elder since she is the Divisional Steward; has heard from her?
¢ Rally Update -- Nemy
Insurance fees have increased to $2.25/car(40%). May have to increase entry fees; BoD urges them to consider this so that they remain financial solvent. Present schedule needs to be modified. TH has proposed a contract for Rally Cross which will include charges for track equipment use; Smith provided copy to Nemy for review. Anthony Tabacco, who is working on the Solo II site acquisition, has contacted Altamont Speedway about the feasibility of running a Rally Cross there. Greg Montgomery has had a major career change and Rally needs to identify a new chief. Action: Gordy to discuss with Pete Soper and followup with Montgomery.
¢ Concours Update -- Gordy
Nothing new to report.
¢ Competition Director Update -- Archer
No report from Archer.
Per BoD there is no final agreement on Toyo tires at this time for SMT. Motion (Smith/Tatum): Direct Archer to follow up and provide BoD a recommendation for 2005. Passed--Unanimous. SM will become a National class in 2006 and SFR may not wish to adapt the National Spec tire for Regional races. Motion (Smith/Allen): Recommend that by July we have a spec tire in place for SMT for 2006 within SFR. Passed--Unanimous. Action: Tatum to follow-up with Archer.
¢ National BoD Update -- Pitts
Reports that Enterprises is now solvent and making progress. SCCA Pro is solvent and the Foundation is barely solvent. DVD of Safety Symposium from 2004 Convention is now being provided to all Regions; Gordy reports SFR has received two copies. Formula SCCA sales have been stopped until deficiencies corrected. SRF tire performance information is not the same through out the country and SRF drivers do not have a consensus at this time; the CRB is still evaluating. Archer told Nosler that he believes Yokohama can solve the tire problem. Gordy doesn't know if other tires are available. Smith encourages a look at parts pricing over the past year. Some parts now have to be bought as a "kit" which increases the overall cost. Pitts suggests the question of financial fairness be directed to Andy Porterfield with a copy to the National BoD. Nosler thinks we need to be able to respond to the frequently asked question of why the Runoffs were moved to Heartland Park. Roger Eandi has been appointed Chairman of the Court of Appeals. Three major National office changes have occurred in the past 5 months: Terry Ozment replaced Phil Clarke, Jeff Dahner replaced Sandy Abrahams, and Colan Arnold has recently replaced Wendy Grillo who has resigned to return to Denver area.
National database concerns were discussed extensively in Executive
¢ Thunderhill Report -- Vodden
Properties meeting was held last night and report given at that time. The year 2004 was a good year in the many ways expected (bookings, revenue, profit, and growth of the value of the facility). Currently moving forward with building the next set of garages, the development of a shade canopy in the paddock area, and the relocation of the office building. Question of running track clockwise raised again. Vodden doesn't think that National has a problem; however there are cost issues to resolve. There are no exit berms, T5 by-pass would have to be used, and there are concerns about what would be the the entrance into the hot pits. Smith doesn't hear overwhelming input from the drivers about running this direction. Archer will be asked to query drivers at their meetings this year. Also Vodden needs to locate the report furnished by Alan Wilson and Tony Phelps when they inspected the track. Pitts suggests talking with Gary Meeker as well since that occurred during his term as RE.
¢ Oil Recycling Champions Report -- Vodden
Current grant program is winding down with April being the official end. In the midst of a report cycle with one more to go. Final report should go out in May. Working with Shawn Campbell to make sure that all grant deliverables are met and we would have not problems with a review by the state. Shawn Campbell and Carrie Beckstein will be in attendance at tonight's banquet. Nosler will be at the office next week to review papers. Action: Nosler to present a report at Feb. meeting.
¢ Region Report -- Vodden
Recommends that SMT drivers must be present to win Toyo prize money. Working on jacket for 2006 Champions. Vodden will no longer be a paid consultant, but will remain a resource for fund raising efforts. BoD asks that his direction be not to tell us what we have accomplished but to direct us toward ways of raising money such as sponsorships, grants, etc. Action: Vodden/Smith/Gordy to discuss further.
¢ Region Administrators Report -- Grantz
Continuing issues with the database furnished by National. Requires extensive time to review and ensure we are receiving correct information. Draft Directory for 2005 will be at Chiefs Meeting for additions and corrections. Supps have been approved by National; they had us add T3 as a Regional Class and a fee for Formula SCCA. Smith states that the office computers are over 4 years old and may need to be upgraded and replaced soon. Cost would be approximately $1800. Motion (Nosler/Nemy): Move to approve replacement of office computers. Passed--Unanimous.
¢ Secretary's Report -- McClellan
Motion (Allen/Smith): To approve minutes from 12/18/04 BoD Meeting. Passed--Unanimous
Correction to October 23, 2004 Minutes--Martin Kaufman, Race Director of International Motor Sports Association sent Gordy an email stating that IMSA does use the Region's Emergency Response personnel as provided (i.e., response trucks, recovery equipment, course repair and clean up) at ALMS events at Infineon and LS Raceways. The Region's response trucks are integrated into IMSA's Emergency Response Plan for IMSA sanctioned portions of the event weekend and utilized when necessary. McClellan wishes this correction to the 10/23/04 minutes be noted.
¢ Treasurer's Report -- Smith
Profit and Loss Statement (Year to Date) through Dec. 31, 2004
1. Club Administration
Income (dues, etc.) $105,041
Expenses (payroll, overhead, etc.) (172,584)
2. Road Racing
a. 20 Event Income - Net
Drivers School $ 4,861
Double Natl. TH 18,453
Regl. Opener Inf. 14,089
Regl. 2, TH 9,856
Regl. 3, LS 18,855
Regl. (Dbl.) LS 50,970
Regl. (Dbl.) TH 26,909
Regl./Natl. LS 34,030
Regl. 4 Inf. 22,474
Regl. 5 TH 5,050
Regl. 6 TH 4,962
Vintage LS 4,724
WSC/Enduro TH 1,337
R & T Inv. LS 34,933
Wine Country Historics 11,287
NASCAR, Inf. 14,108
ALMS, Inf. 11,855
Monterey Historics 17,577
CART, LS 30,988
ALMS, LS 40,808
b. General Racing
(novice permits, transponders) $ 6,053
Expenses (136,028) ($129,975)
Road Racing Total $ 248,151 $248,151
3. General Income and Expenses
Income: Thunderhill dividend $50,000
Oil Recycling Program 74,716
Rally Cross 436
Expenses: The Wheel ($62,128)
General Total $49,956 $49,956
Total Yearly Profit through 12/31/04 $230,564
Adjustments to Actual:
Thunderhill dividend ($50,000)
ORC paid ahead of schedule ($37,619)
Total Adjustments ($87,619)
Adjusted Income $142,945
Motion (Nosler/Allen): To approve Treasurers Report as of December 31, 2004. Passed--Unanimous.
¢ Old Business
¢ 2005 NorPac Recap -- Gordy
Attendance down because of weather; 137 registered, 107 attended. Positive interaction with National personnel. Ed Runnion, Solo II Chief, and Pete Soper from Rally attended and both got a lot from it. Talked about Solo II tow funds.
¢ 2006 NorPac Convention -- Nosler
SFR is hosting; committee currently made up of Nosler, Stich, and McClellan. All BoD members should have this on their 2006 calendars. Bob Hubbard, inventor of HANS device, already scheduled to speak. Nemy would like to bring Roger Johnson from Texas to discuss setting up Solo II courses. Also, Solo II would like to present Solo II Division Champions at the NorPac Convention. Gordy suggests that Road Racing Division Champions be recognized at that time at well. The NorPac committee will probably move the host hotel from Atlantis to the Nugget in Sparks. Nosler indicates that administrative assistance will be needed as convention time draws near. May need to budget some funds as the host region. Will be looking for sponsors as well. Action: Nosler to provide a preliminary budget for next meeting.
¢ 2005 Regional Championship Plans -- All
BoD will be seeking input from Chiefs at the upcoming meeting regarding have separate banquets to recognize drivers and Race Officials. Smith is developing a task force and Bob and Vivian Stegall to provide input regarding feasibility of getting Regional Championship points finalized for a banquet the evening of the final event. Note: Subsequent Chiefs meeting provided negative input for this concept. Too much of an "Us" and "Them" feel to the idea. Current plan is to have the 2005 Annual Awards Banquet for everyone at the San Ramon Marriott on Nov. 19, preceded by the Annual Meeting that afternoon.
¢ Volunteer Response Position -- Grantz/Smith
Grantz is now doing the contacts of new members. Long range plan would be to hire part-time help. BoD to discuss further at Feb. meeting.
¢ Surveys for Drivers/Volunteers -- Smith
Delay until Feb. meeting.
¢ 2005 Budget -- Smith
Handouts distributed for discussion. McClellan questions why there is only $100 interest when we have about $500,000 in cash? Action: Smith to investigate investment opportunities. Nosler noted that we will need to include NorPac costs; we may want to reach out to our inactive members which may have some expenses; want to reduce costs of The Wheel (better, cheaper); increase Moscone budget to have better exposure. BoD will remind Chiefs of the $250 approval limit. Expenses greater than that require approval from BoD liaisons.
¢ Worker Incentives for 2005 -- McClellan
Summary provided of how VIP works. Brookmans have asked if we wish to continue Dedicated Worker Jackets since several crews have specialty jackets. (Note: Workers seem to still want these jackets). Action: McClellan to work with Brookmans and Grantz to determine costs of the worker programs.
¢ Haney Tire Seminar -- Tatum
Set for March 12 at San Ramon Marriott. Expect ~100 attendees. Will announce at the banquet tonight. Advertising is already on the Web site. Action: Smith to arrange video equipment.
¢ 2005 Event Pins -- Grantz
Design has been selected and pins have been ordered.
¢ Trophies -- Nosler/Allen
Defer until Feb. Meeting
¢ SFR Open House -- McClellan
Scheduled for Feb. 12 at Infineon. Presenters selected. There will be five rotating sessions. CPR class is scheduled (M&L Racing to partially sponsor). CPR attendees will be asked for a $10 donation for the Santa Clara Valley Medical Center Burn Unit. All garages in the I Building (close to pumps) can be utilized. Infineon to provide 100 chairs and 20 tables. Worker Trans will be available and Social crew will provide lunches for ~200.
¢ New Business
¢ Drivers School -- Nosler
There will be a limit of 90 students. Cars must be GCR compliant with a log book and pass tech. All students must go through the complete school in order to receive license--Vintage drivers may not opt out of practices races.
¢ National Convention -- All
BoD agreed via an email conference that SFR members may use VIP for Registration at the National Convention with the proviso that NorPac attendance takes first priority. BoD members Gordy, McClellan, Nemy, and Nosler will be attending the 2005 Convention in Kansas City.
¢ Chiefs Meeting and Banquet -- All
Agenda set. BoD picture will be taken prior to the banquet at 6 PM. BoD reviewed presentation duties.
¢ Track Contract Dates -- Gordy
LS meeting will occur the week of Feb. 7. Gordy to review Infineon requests and follow up.
¢ San Jose Grand Prix -- Gordy
Meeting held with organizers on Jan. 12. They will be assisted by Champ Car Molsen people from Canada. K-walls are being built to spec; they will own the land line which is being installed. TransAm is the support race. They definitely want SFR SCCA Race Officials involved. They will need F & C, Grid, Equipment for clean up, maybe some T & S, and event pass checkers. Allen is willing to put up the membership booth.
¢ Liaison Reports -- All
¢ New Chiefs of Specialties -- Allen
Sound Chief -- Bill Schooley
Paddock Marshal -- Tom Lewis
¢ Executive Session (provided under separate cover)
Letter from Ron Sharp, Race Chairman for the Runoffs, thanking SFR for donations. Dave Ferguson, S2 driver, sent an email indicating the dates the S2 drivers will be running larger groups. This information has been forwarded to Archer.
¢ Remarks for the Good of the Order
Motion (Nemy): To adjourn meeting at 12:02 PM. Passed--Unanimous. Next meeting scheduled for Monday, Feb. 21, 2005 at 1:00 PM at Mike Smith's Office, Saratoga
Barbara McClellan, Secretary